Saturday, June 24, 2006

the refrain of Mexican love songs

I have at last found an on-line shelter and repository for the literary passages I treasure. When I find a group of words that creates an entirely new thought in my mind or floods bold hues from the color wheel of knowledge into my living room, I am excited. I work to make this happen at least once a day, preferring multiple times.


June 24, 2006

Mexico is poor. But my mama says there are no love songs like the love songs of Mexico. She hums a song she can remember.

Men sing in Mexico. Men are strong and silent. But in song the Mexican male is granted license he is otherwise denied. The male can admit longing, pain, desire.

HAIII-EEEE- a cry like a comet rises over the song. A cry like mock-weeping tickles the refrain of Mexican love songs.

Richard Rodriguez, “Proofs”

No comments: