Thursday, March 18, 2010

Current Captivation: The Disappeared


I am reading The Disappeared by Kim Echlin, and her writing is holding me captive in its street smells and descriptions of Phnom Penh. Echlin's short powerful chapters are densely calorie-packed like a decadent piece of chocolate cake with a thick layer of frosting in three to five pages. Here's a sample to whet your appetite.

"A girl wears her lover's clothes because she likes his smell and she wears his clothes because she is trying to understand why she feels both free and broken. Why does she feel whole when she has to give away her body, her mind and her heart? Why is she not tempted to escape? She wants to smell her lover on her skin, and she can not understand this feeling that imprisons, frees her. She does not guess that she will remember wearing her lover's clothes when she is old. She tells herself that what she feels is forever. But she has already observed in the world that it is not."

I see residue of Written on the Body in this love story, yet I do not want Anne and Serey to break their bond tragically. I'm on page 108: 120 pages to turn before I learn of the lovers' destiny.

No comments: