Friday, April 24, 2009

Do you know about Zoom?

If you search your own name on Zoom:

http://www.zoominfo.com/

you may be surprised by what you find: I know I was.

When I entered my name, I found a three jobs listed on my employment history with a photo attached of me taken informally when I was enjoying my time in Hawaii. The information in the Zoom profile included some of my past employment history and was unclaimed, which meant that anyone who wanted to claim my history and photo could have logged in to the site and done just that.

I don't like the idea that information about me, including a photo, is let loose on the Internet when I am unaware of its existence.

Is this legal? I claimed my information on Zoom, but wasn't sure if I wanted it published. I didn't have a choice in the matter.

How does this happen? I am concerned.

1 comment:

Jim Larsen said...

Yeah, that's kind of freaky. I have an extremely common name, believe it not. There was 139 hits on my name. On facebook, I think there are something like 20 pages of people with my name. Anyway, found the profile supposedly being "me." I recognized it by the name of the film company founded to make that movie I wrote and directed some 12 years ago. There was no info about me and the company no longer even exists. I'm not thrilled about my name still being associated with that company. That was then. I'm living in the NOW. And NOW, I consider myself an employee of The Universe.