Sunday, May 09, 2010

San Andres Xecul and the Vegetarian Cafe

I discovered El Infinito today on 7th Avenue, a vegetarian cafe, and it smelled of the most flavorful roasted coffee beans on the planet. Thoughts of my friend, Charlsie, darted in and out of my mind because there were brightly colored Mayan gods painted on the walls, and I wondered what she was painting at this very moment.

The trip to San Andres Xecul earlier today left me wondering about religions worldwide. Why is it so important for people to have a saint to worship, in this case Simon, who is responsible for health, love lives, the drinking tab at the bar, smoking and peace. The couple honoring Saint Simon in his shrine spent 120 quetzals on a tailsman to send to relatives in Washington, D.C. That is a large amount of money for a middle aged rural couple in Guatemala.

Riding in the back of a pickup truck to get back to the main road was life affirming on such a sunny Sunday. Mayan religions mix Christianity with their own forms of worship. Seeing the effigy of Saint Simon dressed in a Texas cowboy hat, cowboy boots, sunglasses, and sporting thick black sideburns was not comforting to me. Knowing that many people in the town believe that he sleeps on the slender twin bed night after night was like a ghost story in reality.

Seeing a lighted cigar in his mouth, a bottle of liquor near his feet, and candles on the alter may not be the best portrayal of a responsible role model for Guatemalan kids, but Dionysus added some spunk and spice to ancient Greek life, so who am I to question.

Shine your light on me Saint Simon and send good health, the amor of my life, love, and peace to all.

No comments: