Thursday, July 15, 2010

Dragging My Toes


One reason I diddle and slowly cavort through my possessions under the disguise of cleaning house is because I am disturbing an unreliable dust- a dust which coats my recollections of the past. What I think I remember occurring shape shifts through the passage of time: truth? I am easily diverted by old class notes, letters, personal journals, and poems. Tonight, for example, I found an artist's proof of a poem I wrote in 2000 when my father was dying. I always liked this particular poem, and when I was reunited with the words after a separation of 10 years, the emotions swirling around my father's illness were all too real.

Emerging

My poetry emerges
with coaxing.
Loose fingers elicit
flaky apple pie cinnamon
and heavy cream
sticking to slurpy tongues
teasing each syllable
with fat and saliva.
Each word an electric impulse
a twitch
that strains my body
during hours of foreplay
back and forth on the page.
Rearranging the parts.
Reconstructing the sensations.
Lulled by the release.

[Words and the rearranging of words into some sort of order were a comfort to me at this time. After my father died, I asked for his guidance as my muse.]

No comments: