Monday, July 19, 2010

Struggling To Be Certain


I have been exploring the various ways intimacy has been defined in my day to day life. One expression of the concept happened in the year 2000 when I was working as an ESL teacher at a community college in Iowa. Supporting a debutante poet as she translated her words from Japanese to English brought us together in a delicate intellectual conference. As an assistant to the linguistic transformation, the poet trusted me with her filtered impressions of life as a Japanese exchange student in small town Iowa: kanji; katakana; hiragana; and the Latin alphabet (rōmaji).

I Am Standing in a Foreign Land
Author: Madoka Tazuke

I was here but,
there was no sound.
There was only darkness.
The air was very heavy
like something pulling on my heart.
I listen to the sound of nothingness.

The air envelops me
in its quiet, heavy embrace.

I am struggling to be certain
of my existence.

I saw her and the feeling of anxiety
came over me.
I was uneasy because of the sudden confusion of
my identity.

The eyes were like a powerful wave
washing over me and carrying me to sea.
At that time, I thought
What is this wave?

Am I true?
Or, is she true?
Did I see her?
Or, did she see me?

And, I am standing in a foreign land.
Like she is standing there.


Hills Review: A Journal of Poetry, Spring 2000

No comments: