Sunday, October 16, 2011

Gothic: Perfect for Halloween

The Nightmare, John Fuseli
A incubus oppressing the human spirit rides on the back of a mare.

I have a million things churning about in my mind, as usual, and choose to fuel the multi-tasking grey-matter machine with an Indie radio channel on Grooveshark- my new music web link. You Don't Own the Road by the Kills is kicking it with some serious boom-boom in the background of my thought processes. I am going stream of consciousness in this blog post and somewhat Gothic reflecting Toni Cade Bambara and Edgar Allan Poe's influences on the AP literature selections we have been reading in my senior 3 class.

Gothic is comedic to me.

An atmosphere of gloom, terror or mystery;

the protagonist on the edge of sanity, teetering into a supernatural dream;

a decaying castle or other dark drafty place of ill repute establish the mood,

and I can't forget the mysterious, sometimes fainting damsels in distress dying of unexplained illnesses that encourage their family physicians to dig them up for postmortem explorations.

Perfect for Halloween: I agree.

1 comment:

Heidi Go Seek said...

Love that picture! Used it when I taught Frankenstein for AP.