Friday, January 06, 2012

Floating in a Coffee Cup

I'm floating in coffee on Saturday afternoon.

The red wine we drank last night at the hot pot feast delayed my exit from bed until 10:42 this morning. Remembering the heavy slumber that 3 glasses of red wine brings to my brain and sluggish limbs accompanied by the slow, unforced journey into consciousness sans an alarm clocks is the relish on the weekend hotdog.

Chinese films have been on my mind lately, and reading this article in The New York Times this morning encouraged me start a list of films I want to see.

From: "A Filmmaker Walks the Line Between Outsider Status and Official Approval"
Edward Wong in The New York Times on January 6, 2012

It is telling that when asked what films in his oeuvre were his favorites, Mr. Zhang first named five early ones, all independent features made outside the censorship system: “Red Sorghum”; “Ju Dou”; “Raise the Red Lantern”; “To Live”; and “The Story of Qiu Ju.” (“And, of course, this one, ‘The Flowers of War,’ ” he quickly added.)

Jim's suggestion: One amazingly good film I saw while in China was called Aftershocks. It's a drama about the lives of a family for years after an earthquake devastated the town and the daughter was believed dead. Pretty heavy, really good.

No comments: