Thursday, July 07, 2011

Garden Nerd

I realize that gardening is not everyone’s passion, and rescuing a toad repeatedly from the window-well until she has learned to stare me down until I assist her out of her predicament doesn’t make everyone feel like a hero, but cataloging the bloom time of my flowers on my blog this summer has been extremely helpful in furthering my ideas on garden design and landscape architecture.

“What a boring garden nerd,” you counter. I embrace that title proudly.


Easter lilies remind me of death and a man splayed on the cross. These are not nice images. So why do I have Easter lilies in my garden? I felt sorry for the bulbs. My mom received the flowers as a gift and they would have rotted in their pots had I not planted them somewhere. I will try to revise my thoughts to the joyous living world whenever I see them blooming.

Flower Speak: "I am a balloon flower! Need I say more?"

Some gardeners view the globe thistle as a noxious weed. I, however, am not one of those gardeners. I respect this plant's protective thorns and its resolve to never die.




No comments: