Saturday, July 02, 2011

pigsqueak


I must remember this tall and thin touch of violet in my garden because I pulled one or two of her sisters thinking they were weeds. Thank the lucky sunflowers that I left three plants standing.


This plant ID looks like a tombstone, and it could have been a marker of death because I planted my Saxifraga in the sunshine. She prefers the shade. You can see in the photo below what happened when she was in a location that was unsuitable for her temperament. She got a sunburn, turning one of her perky green leaves to a crunchy brown.

I like this neutral review of Saxifraga from Bonehead on davesgarden.com.

On Jan 23, 2010, bonehead from Cedarhome, WA (Zone 8a) wrote:


I will try to like this plant more. I've had it in my front garden for many years and mostly find it to be a squatty thing with gaudy pink flowers. I think I'll divide it and let it have more of a presence and see if I warm up to it. I do like the common name, pigsqueak - does anyone know where that originated?



Goodness Gracious
Great Balls of Cleome!

No comments: