Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Games and Toys for Jesus, Buddha and the Gang

















Religious games and toys are a multi-million dollar industry according to Nikki Bado-Fralick assistant professor of philosophy and religious studies at Iowa State University. Here she is in her office holding Virgin Mary and Esther dolls. Virgin Mary recites assorted verses from the Book of Luke. She’s a talented little doll.

I didn’t use this photo in the article that I wrote for the “Ames Tribune.” I used the Missionary Conquest photo, but this photo- for me anyway- captures the spirit of our interview on December 11, 2006.

You can see the screamer over Nikki’s left shoulder. Lecturer Eric Northway is her colleague in the Philosophy and Religious Study Department at Iowa State. He is in the background observing the action.

The Nunchucks in Nikki’s office spoke volumes to me about her attitude toward religion. I would summarize it as: Keep an open mind and don’t forget to laugh. Nuns and Jesus can be a source of amusement.

The Nunchuck’s advert on the perpetualkid.com Web site reads as follows:

Sally Fields isn’t the only nun who can fly! Just load the 1" tall, plastic nuns into the 5-3/4" long plastic shooting device and pull the trigger to send a sister sailing. Great for working out your repressed Catholic school memories. Four different nuns included.

I wish that I were on the ISU campus in Ames, Iowa in the fall of ‘07 to take Nikki’s class on Buddhism, but alas, I will be in Hawaii. If only I could do everything that my greedy heart desires, I would be a happy woman!

No comments: