Friday, January 26, 2007

In My Mind

Life Is About Falling Apart

Megan, my Kalani buddy and gentle companion, lent me Pema Chodron's book "When Things Fall Apart," and several passages bent my brain waves.

Because I am in a sharing mood, and the sky is clear on the south eastern coast of the island, I encourage you to indulge your very own mental sensations in these sticks of intellectual chewing gum.

"Things falling apart is a kind of testing and also a kind of healing. We think that the point is to pass the test or to overcome the problem, but the truth is that things don't really get solved. They come together and they fall apart. Then they come together again and fall apart again. It's just like that. The healing comes from letting there be room for all of this to happen: room for grief, for relief, for misery, for joy."

"Not causing harm requires staying awake. Part of being awake is slowing down enough to notice what we say and do. The more we witness our emotional chain reactions and understand how they work, the easier it is to refrain. It becomes a way of life to stay awake, slow down, and notice."

No comments: