Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Coqui Song




The rain falls on the tin roof in assorted rhythms and various volumes throughout the moist and dynamic night. When I peek out the bamboo blind at five o'clock in the morning, I see a sliver of moon pie illuminating the rain drops.

The male coqui frogs sing from dawn to daybreak- when they return to their nests for a well-deserved rest. Their song speaks of longing and desire for the slick flesh of the female form. Such a little frog to make such a long journey from Puerto Rico to an island in the Pacific, its new home.

I am in the jungle, so I am told, and the moist, humid days tell me the same story.

Tomorrow, I will begin working with the landscaping crew at Kalani and experience the tropical vegetation on the eastern side of the island of Hawaii first-hand.

Photo Credit:
http://www.vineland.org/history/pr_festival/coqui.htm

No comments: