Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Talking To Myself in Congo

The cutest thing I heard today was a 22 year-old Congolese student who is studying biology at the only university in the country commenting on how he learns English.

Me: How did you learn English Steve?

You can call me Steve: There is no one to talk English to here, so I talk to myself. I say this in English for example: "This is a cup. I will drink from the cup" to myself.

Today I discovered that the embassy in coordination with the Congolese Ministry of Communication (that’s right, there is only one –s) plans to have some sort of official celebration during the first week of my class. The U.S. Ambassador is scheduled to speak at the grand soiree and several ministers plan to be there too. What shoes am I going to wear? It’s wonderful that the Ministry of Communication (one –s) is proud to have me in the country, but I don’t need a formal event to mark the commencement of educational development for 100 journalists and their teacher. What can I do? Accept the situation gracefully and wear my most formal shoes. But ouch, those shoes pinch my feet.

Since I don't have a kitchen in my hotel room, I now consider myself an opportunistic eater. I take leftovers home and overload my system with calories when the opportunity presents itself.

I navigate through piles of sand, protruding metal wires, uneven pavement, and unexpected black holes in the sidewalks on poorly lit streets at night.

Many of my meetings are cancelled or postponed, but not by me.



2 comments:

candace said...

Sounds like you'll need your Doc Marten boots.

Unknown said...

Maybe the Ministers will bring food to celebrate the occasion!