Sunday, February 20, 2011

Power Tease

HELP...

LJ: The city power isn't functioning, and the generator in my apartment complex only runs from 6 until 9 p.m.

It's now half past nine, and I'm in the dark using the torch on my cell phone while I prepare for bed. It's dark, there is no water, and my apartment is boiling hot. This describes a typical weekend. Shout out to my ELF Sister in the west: "I hope your power is full force tonight."

ELF Sister: I just jumped out of bed and ran to the computer because my power came back on. So far today we have water. Hang in there, there's always cheap Valium. No, don't think it builds character.

LJ: Power came on- Power went off - in the span of 7 minutes. What a tease. I often run to the shower when I see signs of electricity stirring. Oh, to feel clean and fresh. I am past the half-way mark in my contract- only March-April-May and June remain. Maybe I will create a countdown calendar representing those days. I wonder if such a calendar would make me feel better: a visual representation of departure.

1 comment:

alice hines said...

Dear Rain Girl,
I'm a fellow American considering traveling to Brazzaville this summer. I really enjoy some of your posts and would love to ask you a few questions some time. Excuse me for leaving a comment but this seemed to be the best way to get in touch with you!
Thank you
Alice Hines
alice_hines at brown dot edu