Friday, February 25, 2011

Premeditated Stabbing In The Kitchen With A Spoon




Crush, Kill, Destroy

Roaches are rather fragile and thin-skinned here in Brazzaville (maybe due to the heat), and they don't always run when startled. I had a stare-down with a plump specimen in a friend's bathroom. I used the toilet and left the bathroom all while he remained frozen on the sink. The only things waving in the air were his antenna segments.


I killed a large cockroach in my sink last night when I jabbed the insect to death with the pointy end of a spoon. I crushed its head. Part of its leg and wing broke off, so I washed those bits down the drain and disposed of the body in the trashcan. Sounds like a murder scene. I sometimes let them run free, but this one frightened me, and my instinct was to stab, stab, stab like Norman Bates in the shower scene from Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho. Stab, stab, stab over and over again is what I did with the pointy end of a spoon. I am sure the cockroach's blood swirled down the drain just like Marion Crane's, but I couldn't see it.


When I looked up from my agitated and premeditated stabbing, I saw a terrified companion of the deceased scurry to hide amid the couscous box, can of spinach, and bag of coffee on my counter. I was pleased that both cockroaches I saw were fairly large. Perhaps it's inaccurate information, but I believe that large cockroaches indicate the population is not breeding profusely. I have never seen a small cockroach in my apartment. The petite size would indicate a nest, eggs, and a family setting up shop somewhere in the walls or cabinets. That is my belief about cockroaches currently, but I don't have scientific evidence to truly support it.


A question I have always had in my mind: Can cockroaches climb into and out of my fridge at night when I am in a deep sleep? When I am completely unaware, do they poop on the food inside?


No comments: