Thursday, January 27, 2011

Are you the epigraph type? Memoirs and Memories

I began reading Dave Eggers novel this morning. I enjoyed this passage from the preface.

Preface to A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, Dave Eggers

Finally, this edition reflects the author's request that all previous epigraphs-

including "The heart's immortal thirst to be completely known and all forgiven." (H. Van Dyke); "[My poems] may hurt the [living and] dead, but the dead belong to me [and the living will recover]." (A. Sexton); "Everything will be forgotten and nothing will be redressed." (M. Kundera); "Why not just write what happened?" (R. Lowell);-

be removed, as he never really saw himself as the type of person who would use epigraphs.

[Oh Mr. Eggers, you are quite clever. You claim you aren't the type to use epigraphs, but you have slyly managed to weave them into the preface of your novel. "Bravo," I say!] And, my heart is immortally thirsty as well. If we were reading this book in book club, I would ask the members of the club to find epigraphs that reflect their view of memory and memoir.

No comments: