Monday, January 31, 2011

Definitions in Color: Integrity

I am blogging the rancid memories of a disfigured romantic entanglement out of my system. When a revelation comes to mind that will help me make sense of the catastrophe, I jot it down for further contemplation. At one point in the interchange with this man, I told him that if we were a continuum, we would BE the opposite ends. This is particularly true in our unity/separation of the personal and professional.

My definition of these two terms is rooted in the lessons from the feminist movement. Both the political and the professional are also personal. There is very little separation or division between the code of conduct I follow in the personal or professional roles I play in my daily life. Maintaining one unified principled rulebook of behavior in all areas of my life is how I define integrity and gauge the success of my relationships with others.

On the opposite end of the continuum are those who separate their professional roles from their personal lives and establish dual sets of regulations governing each sphere of their existence: separate, disunited and lacking in integrity is how I experience these people. The word "fake" comes to mind or lacking in authenticity and not to be trusted. I feel as if I am dealing with a person who has a personality disorder split down the middle.

I can only express my opinion here. It would be fascinating to discuss this with someone on the opposite end of the human continuum. I have realized from this experience that interacting intimately with people whose vision of the world is so fundamentally different from my own forces me to define my stance on the issues.

No comments: