Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Definition: Marabout


Definition: Marabout

A Mohammedan Saint

I heard a great deal about marabouts and Muslim brotherhoods on my recent trip to Dakar, Senegal in December and January 2010-2011. I saw images of marabouts painted on city walls and hanging from taxi cab mirrors. One all-powerful leader- either living or dead- at the center of a brotherhood of men united on religious, ethnic, or nationalistic grounds has polarized and destroyed many societies throughout humankind's evolutionary transition on the planet.

I bought a key chain with a severe looking marabout staring out at the living world with his dead cold eyes. His miracles were sandwiched between the plastic of modern-day urban life in Dakar. If you are able to identify the keychain saint and the reason for his glorification in Senegalese society, please contact me through blogger.com.


No comments: